Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Problem solved

We have the option of delivering at one of 2 hospitals, that are literally on opposite sides of the river.  Initially I was planning on delivering at the newer hospital because, well, its newer, shinier and has more bells and whistles.   But we decided to tour them both and make a better, more informed decision.  

At the older hospital, things seemed to move at a slower, more personal pace.  The nurse giving the tour was friendly and helpful and just really nice.  She took a lot of time with us.  The rooms were smaller and definitely not up to par in the decorations dept.  But they seem to be very pro-birth plan and seem to want to work with you to get you the exact birth you are hoping for.  They also have single rooms for all new moms and (unless you have a c-section) you labor/deliver and recover in the same room.  

At the newer hospital, the rooms are really nice and big.  But you might have to share your post-partum room with another new mom.  Also, they move you once you deliver to another room.  They seem more rigid in the way THEY do things, as opposed to how I might want to do it.  And the nurses giving the tour, were so rushed and seemed irritated that we were there.  
So, although the older hospital may not be as shiny, I think I'd prefer the level of attention they'll give me, as opposed to being rushed along and crammed in a room at the newer hospital.

I'm glad we have this decision made - finally.  Although I can say I am definitely surprised with my final choice!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that the problem is solved. I can't wait to meet Mowgli...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, just stumbling onto your blog. Love it!

    I delivered C. at "the other hospital." I was happy there, but you're right--it's busy, and I can understand that being a deciding factor. (Thankfully it wasn't TOO busy and I had a fantastic experience.) Really, it all comes down to your doctor and how flexible and open he/she is.

    I hope all is prosaically calm and uncomfortable in the last trimester!

    ReplyDelete