Sunday, August 19, 2012

My Blessing in Disguise

Sometimes it's nice to take my big boy out on a special trip without his little brother.
Let's face it, he's having a pretty rough time not being an only child.
Today I took him to the Indiana Dunes with some of my family, and we had such a wonderful time.


The weather was perfect, and Gray was so excited to do something special with his Mama.
We made sand castles and we dug deep down in the sand to make "Rabbit Holes" to sit in.  We made sand kitties, and Graysen found rocks for the eyes and noses.  He pet our sculpture and said "Aww, iss a sandy titten. Iss so nice"
We really have to work on his "K" sounds.
Graysen climbed a dune with me and his Poppy.  He was really proud of himself.  So was I.

Later, when he got tired, he curled into a little ball on a towel in the shade of a chair.  He said he was "a sleepy titten."
At one point he started eating and licking the sand on the beach and loved the disgusted reactions he got.  
He was really concerned about the Seagulls.  He told me they were sad and needed food.
We may have another bleeding heart on our hands, and it absolutely melts me.
He fell asleep on the way home, and my heart was so full just peeking back at him in the mirror as he slept.  This child is so precious - so perfect -  I could not possibly love him any more than I do.


I was listening to music while driving home from dinner in the city this evening and a line from Daisy May's song jumped out at me "Do you know what a blessing in disguise is?"

I am a pretty middle-of-the-road, even-keel person, but I had to stifle a sob.
There was a time when I could see no sliver of good, no hidden beauty in the miscarriage I went through.  I felt a loss like that could only be viewed as an nonredeemable tragedy.  Even though I mentally knew that if that pregnancy was successful then there would be no Graysen, at that moment I identified that experience as my ultimate blessing in disguise:

No comments:

Post a Comment