Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The night before

I thought it would be a good idea to keep a blog chronicling our experiences leading up and through Bear's surgery...
But then I found myself in denial that it was even happening.
So I wrote nothing.
I didn't really even want to talk about it with anyone.

Now it is the night before.

And I'm finding that it's pretty hard to be in denial about something staring you straight in the face... So I've been giving myself pep talks all day.
They go something like this:
"Get ahold of yourself. Your kid has to have a surgery.  Big deal! This is a best case scenario.  He's not sick.  He's not dying.  He doesn't have some unexplainable abnormality that the doctors have never seen before.  He's having a cranial reconstructive surgery -- his doctor does like 4 of these per day!
You're not doing this TO him, you're doing this FOR him. 
Bear is really strong.  He's perfect, he's chubby and he's going to be fine! 
There are going to be kids at the same hospital as Bear tomorrow -- whose parents DON'T know if they are going to be fine.  They can't say if their baby will make it home in time for Christmas, or even make it at all!
Bear WILL.
I'm not saying it's going to be easy. 
I'm not saying it won't be hard to see him in pain. 
But you'll get through this. 
THIS is manageable. 
This is the best thing for him. 
So buck up and smile, cause smiling is Bear's favorite!"

5 comments:

  1. Your family and Bear, will be in our prayers tomorrow. As a parent of a child that has had a major surgery, I know how hard tomorrow will be. They will make it as comfortable for you as they can. The hardest part for me was when they took her to the OR. He is going to be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do this Jen- Bear can do this!! I am thinking about you guys, even though I know everything will be just fine :) He is going to come out of this an even happier and stronger baby- can you even imagine such a thing:) And some day, down the road when he has a child of his own he's gonna look back and say, wow- my mom was a real strong woman! �� Kari

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is good, and Bear is in His heart and hands. No matter what, you can rest secure in His love. Praying for you. <3 Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm praying for you and your family! I don't know you or the situation well enough to say that everything is going to be just fine or that you are a strong person. I do know that God is pretty awesome and that He knows the situation and He can handle it. That's a pretty fabulous truth and it's a good one to hold on to.

    ReplyDelete