I've been thinking for a while about the specifics of the birth, but I just started working on a physical birth plan. There are so many things to consider - its hard to even know where to start. I hate that I doubt myself about being able to go natural. But, I really think that with the right support system I will be able to do it. Which is why I am looking toward the possibility of having a Doula present at the birth.
The following is what I am aiming for as far as our birth experience:
Before Hospital
- Labor at home with Anne (Doula) for as long as possible.
During Labor/ Delivery
- At the hospital I will allow [at all times] Jake (husband) and Anne. During the labor process, Jackie (My mother) and Julie (Sister) may take turns in the room - unless otherwise requested by myself. I may ask them to leave before the delivery of baby.
- The birth environment is important to us. We ask that lights be kept dim, noise be kept to a minimum, the door be kept closed for privacy.
- We will bring our own music.
- I would like to be able to eat snacks and drink during labor - as tolerated.
- I will wear my own clothing, although the nursing staff may offer me a hospital gown.
- I would appreciate the opportunity to be up out of bed as much as possible during labor, depending on my needs.
- We are attempting to have a natural, un-medicated birth without unnecessary medical or chemical intervention. However if I eventually want drugs or an epidural, I’ll be the first to ask for it and understand that options change as labor progresses.
- My husband and I understand that there are procedures which may become necessary and are out of our control.
- Except in the case of an emergency, we ask that we be given the opportunity to accept or refuse any procedure or medication.
- We request that the least invasive or restricting versions of procedures be used.
- We intend to handle pain with relaxation, massage and water (shower or tub).
- I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless determined to be medically necessary. I would first like to try perineal massage, support and warm compresses.
- If labor or delivery seems stalled, we would like the opportunity to try different positions (hands and knees, squatting, birth stools, etc.).
After the delivery
- My husband does not wish to catch the baby or cut the cord.
- We would like to have him placed on my chest with skin-to-skin contact immediately after the birth and for the first 1 to 2 hours following the birth.
- I would like to try to have him breastfeed as soon as possible - do not offer him a bottle.
- Please delay the eye medication and vitamin K until we have spent some time with the baby, preferably as long as possible.
- We will not allow him to receive the Hepatitis B Shot.
- We would BOTH like to give him his first bath.
- We would like at least one parent to be present at his circumcision.
- I would like for my son to room in with us - as opposed to staying in the nursery.
- We would like to establish a good start with breast feeding. Please do not offer any bottles or pacifiers to the baby without parents' notification of a medical NEED. Also, do not offer the baby formula or water.
- We would like to meet with a lactation consultant before leaving the hospital to have techniques checked.
Cesarean Section Requests (if necessary)
- I would like to be conscious, but medicated.
- I would like for my husband and doula to be present.
- Please use double-layer sutures when repairing my uterus. If I have a second child, I hope to attempt a VBAC and understand this is a requirement for many doctors.
- We would prefer that our baby breastfeed immediately or as soon as possible afterward in the recovery room.
- We prefer the baby and father remain in the recovery room with the mother.
No comments:
Post a Comment